So the weekend whizzed by with a blur of picnics in the park, sunny day’s and general relaxing over here in the Novice neighbourhood. How was your weekend? Did you manage to get outside or do anything interesting?
Every Monday I usually post a weekly column called Interior Styles. As it was a bank holiday yesterday, I have posted it today instead.
I’ve always loved New York City for it’s urban gritty nature. Having had the chance to visit as a special treat on my 30th birthday, I fell in love with the city the instant I hit JFK airport. The streets are filled with a vibrant mix of skyscrapers, people and traffic. It surrounds you everywhere you go, and the colours of the city come alive at night with a large array of colour in the form of lights from cars, street lights and buildings dancing off each other. Ever since visiting the Meat Packing District, I’ve longed to live in a New York Loft. The industrial feel, the large cavernous space, not to mention those exposed brick walls, how wonderful it would be to live among that grit. Even for a short time.
THE KEY ELEMENTS
- This style is very similar to the Industrial Style due to the nature of the buildings both styles tend to reside in ie warehouses and old factories
- NY Lofts are usually large cavernous spaces with no partitions
- As a loft is usually on the top floor where the space is situated directly under the roof, the ceiling gables are usually exposed creating an angular space with extended height
- Surfaces are usually textured and left unfinished such as worn concrete or exposed brick walls
- The colour palette is usually a combination of neutral colours – black, white, grey
- Urban or Modern art is a dominant feature in this style of interior
- Furniture is usually vintage or contemporary in style and oversized
THE REALITY CHECK
This style has been popular for a long time. More and more people are converting their suburban homes with elements of this style. If done well, it can look amazing. Similar to the industrial style, if you are going to go with this style, you need to go all the way or in my opinion it will look contrived.
Do you like this style? I’d love to know. Till tomorrow. xD
Image Source: HomeDsgn.Com